This post may contain affiliate links. You can view my full disclosure here.
As I’ve said before, one of the best ways to motivate yourself to get stuff done is to give yourself a reward.
I’m also currently reading 12 Rules for Life (an amazing book) written by psychologist Jordan B. Peterson. He says the same thing in the book – it’s important to celebrate yourself and reward a job well done. 😊
Whether you’ve just accomplished a giant goal like losing 100 pounds or a mini-goal of going to the gym for the first time, rewards are a great way to celebrate your accomplishments.
Having said that, if you consistently reward yourself with things like ice cream or expensive shopping trips, you’re going to become very unhealthy, go broke, and/or lose any progress you’ve made if you’re trying to become healthier or save up money.
So, it’s always a good idea to make sure that your reward is something that will make you happy but also keep you going forward.
And today I wanted to share with you 20 healthy and inexpensive ways to reward yourself!
First, how to set up an effective reward system:
- Choose reward levels. – Figure out what your “big goal” is, then break it down into “mini-goals.”
- Choose the rewards. – If you choose to reward yourself for your mini-goals, then pick a smaller reward for them. Then pick a larger reward for each big goal you accomplish.
- Be honest about it. – If you didn’t truly meet your goal yet, don’t give yourself the reward early. This defeats the whole purpose. Be consistent with it, too.
Now, 20 reward ideas:
2. Give yourself a lazy day – or a few lazy hours, if you’re a workaholic!
3. Take a hot, relaxing bubble bath with a glass of wine and a good book.
4. Plan a “movie night” with your S.O., friend(s), or by yourself if you’d like!
5. Order your favorite takeout or treat yourself to a night at your favorite restaurant.
6. Go to the beach, to a museum, or another free and entertaining place.
7. Get a facial, a massage, and/or a mani-pedi. Or give yourself an at-home spa day. Pampering yourself is a great reward!
8. Buy yourself some pretty flowers – it’s a great way to say “thank you” to yourself and bright, fresh flowers will make you happy.
9. Buy or make something off of one of your Pinterest boards – you probably have a board devoted to your “wish list” or stuff that you want to DIY, right?
10. Subscribe to one of your favorite magazines.
11. Give yourself permission to take a nap and recharge.
12. Find a jar and put $5-10 in it every time you’ve achieved a goal or mini-goal. Once you have however much you want to be saved up, buy yourself whatever you’re saving for or go on a shopping spree.
13. Get your hair done – try out a new style and/or color.
14. Go to a local play or concert.
15. Allow yourself to sleep in for a morning.
16. Take yourself out to the movies – or bring someone else too, if you want.
17. Take yourself out for coffee, lunch, or dinner – or bring someone else too, if you want.
18. Give back to your community by volunteering, donating to a charity, or helping someone with something.
19. Treat yourself to a creative, handmade item on Etsy.
20. Spend a night in cozy clothes binging your favorite show or YouTuber – with snacks, of course.
What are your favorite ways to reward yourself? Let’s chat in the comments!